Faro Walking Tour
The centre of today’s capital city of the Algarve region is located within its medieval city walls. The walls protect the city’s cathedral which has stood here since the 13th century (with additions in the 15th and 18th centuries). The cathedral includes a chapel dedicated to our Lady of the Rosary, which was reserved for the slave community in the city. The cathedral’s tower allows its visitors to enjoy a view of the old town and the Ria Formosa nature park. In the old town we shall also visit the oldest archaeological museum of the region, located within a former convent; with plenty of items dating back to the former Roman presence, as well as an interesting collection of religious paintings.
It was here, within the city walls of Faro, that the very first book was published in Portugal, using the printing press developed back in 1487. The book, known as the Pentateuch, is currently included in the Bodleian Library in Oxford.
Outside the city walls, you should definitely enjoy some time at leisure visiting the historical café Aliança, founded in the 1930s and completely renovated in the last couple of years, as well as the lively street of Saint Anthony, which is the town’s main shopping